Sunday, February 3, 2013

Scrap Friends - My First Layout

Well hello everyone,

So sorry I have not been around too much - between organising the start of the school year and a trip to Fiji, time has been very short for me... I promise I will be popping by your blogs and leaving some love very soon!!

Today I'm here to share my um... well, one of my very first layouts.  I began scrapping around 10 years ago now and a lot has changed over that time, but you know what, the more I look the more I see that has stayed the same.

What's changed...

1.  My layouts are much more dimensional - this one is as flat as a tack!
2.  I don't use pre-printed titles that often or those pinking scissors!!
3.  I no longer use paper from Big W or K Mart - and usually have a card stock base or thick pattern paper so my page has some strength to it when loaded with embellies.
3.  I have learned since this layout that just because there is blue in the photo doesn't mean every colour on the layout should be a shade of blue LOL  I would definitely say I'm a lot more adventurous now with colour.


What has stayed the same...

1.  I still do 12 x 12 single layouts - I did go through a "phase" of doubles so that both sides of my album matched, but that did not last too long.

2.  I still scrap with single photos mostly preferring to print them larger rather than smaller.  Photo size of choice is 5x7.

3.  The design is still very similar to a lot of my designs now, linear and embellishments in groupings around the page... see the "flower cluster" in the bottom left corner :)

4.  I still love flowers - don't think that will ever change.

5.  and I still love layers... and a matted photo.

and proof you should never throw out any part of your stash; the last layout I did have vellum on it, and so does this one - although I have learned how better to stick it down without showing the glue!!

So, here it is...


That is me in the picture - on a trip to New Zealand many years ago.

It's been fun looking back - and seeing how much I've changed AND how much I've stayed the same.

Gwen

6 comments:

Lizzyc said...

Well this looks great! Yes I started by getting my paper and flowers from big w!! and I have those vellum quote things too! this is neat and well designed! and I think you have grown so much too! Thanks for sharing!

Lizzy Hill said...

Oh, my! How far you've come, Gwen...but look! Flowers even in your very 1st LO...I LOVED your list of same/different....really interesting. This is FUN, eh???!!!!

Sanna Lippert said...

thanks for sharing!!! I really love the now and then-list too!! had to laugh at some points, because I found some similarities with my own srapping learning journey there :). and guess what? I have that exact same diamond paper in my stash too :)!!

Sandra said...

I think we all started fairly flat but I still like this one Gwen. Thanks for sharing the comparison as well.

sandi said...

Wow! What a big difference in the then and now! Yes, your still using flowers, but your lo's look a lot different now!

ScrapFriends said...

Thank you for sharing Gwen, it was interesting to read your story and to see your progress :)