Monday, January 7, 2013

Orange Paperie January Challenge

Hi everyone,

One of my many new years resolutions was to participate in more challenges this year.  Last year I did very few due to my DT commitments and this year with a lighter load I am really hoping to free up some time to join in a challenge or two!!  I love all the girls over at OP&C so I thought why not make my first challenge their January one which is "New Beginnings".

For my project I wanted to do a photo of me (because I don't do enough of these) and I wanted to move away from my "in the pocket" style and branch out a bit... When I have a lot of deadlines and I'm scrapping a layout a day I tend to go with just what works, rather than trying new things, exploring techniques etc and for this layout I deliberately didn't want to do that.  I took a different approach and I built this one from the photo downwards, when normally I start with my background and work up from there.  I pulled back on the flower layers too which was super hard I must say - there is still 7 though LOL!

The top pull out journalling card starts with the text.. "A lesson learned:" and I have some hidden journalling there... basically reminding myself to stop, take a breath and enjoy the little things...a real focus for my 2013.  I am letting go of all the "stuff" that goes with a busy life.  If you read my blog you will know my mum is going through Breast Cancer treatment and it's a reminder that life is fragile, short and should not be taken for granted. She finished her treatment on the 7th Jan which was also Caitlin's birthday.  (Strange but true she started her treatment on my birthday 5th October last year - Crazy hey!) So.. 2013 is her new beginning and I want to take something positive out of her getting sick and for me, that's a wake up call to focus on the important stuff, not the being busy stuff because tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.

So, I'm not sure it totally fits with the "New Beginnings" theme and I didn't mean to get all serious and "deep" on your all - which was why the journalling was hidden, but I did didn't I LOL

Anyways, here is my take:



Oh, yes, forgot to mention since this photo I have decided that it needs some stitching around the hexagon shapes in the background which I did :)


Flowers are a mixture of Manor House, Prima and A LIL Somethin.


Until next time
Gwen



8 comments:

Dolly B said...

Gwen I love love love this, the layering, the little tags and paper bag, the doily, the flowers I LOVE it all! Your work is always beautiful, but you have rocked trying something different, I bet you had fun doing it . Hope this New Year is wonderful for you and wishing your Mum a return to good health
Mary x
Oh and thank you so much for joining us at Orange Paperie :)

Lizzy Hill said...

I hadn't picked up that your Mum had breast cancer...bet she's glad the treatment is over...weird when it started & ended, I must say!!! So glad you're going to do more YOU scrapping...I love this...those hexagons & the colours are really lovely...& GO your 2013:):):):)

sandi said...

Fabulous! Love the beauty of this one! The flowers really pop....they look so pretty!

Lizzyc said...

Oh Gwen I do hope everything is going as well as can be with your Mum... and I hope you do have a good year this year and get to scrap as much as you like.. this layout still has lots of layers under the photo, and I love the subtle color of the flowers.. love the pop of red/dark pink of the random hexagons...wonderful photo of you too!! Take care in this heat...

Jo said...

I so love all the layering on this page Gwen - so pretty & yet not over done. The colour combo is just perfect. I'm so wanting to do this challenge but not sure where to start as this year holds so many changes for me. I hope your Mum is getting better xx

Cheryl said...

Oh WOW!! this is just lovely!!

Annette Edmonds said...

Absolutely divine Gwen, adore all the gorgeous layers. Thanks for joining us. Cheers Annette x

Kim said...

Gwen, this is gorgeous and love that photo!!!. Love your layers, your colour combo and well love everything! Thanks so much for joining us at OP&C.
(So sorry it's taken me so long to comment...been very busy!)
Cheers Kim