July sketch for Scrap Friends

Hi Everyone,

It's July and winter is well and truly here.  With all the rain around last week I was certainly happy to snuggle up in my craft room until the wee hours and create.  If you are looking for some inspiration the July sketch challenge is now up at Scrap Friends :)  The winner gets a Scrap Friends voucher!

Here is the sketch - just love the details:


and here is my take.  It features my sister and I.   We don't have very many photos at all together so on Mother's Day this year I made sure Chris took some... we look alike don't we!!

Close ups first with all the pretty details:




and the full layout... 


I thought I'd also share a step by step for this layout - I'm going to do more of these for you all. The photos are a bit dark and I'm not that happy with them as they were taken quite late at night - which is when I normally do my scrapping!!  Happy days though, I have just purchased a super dooper light tent!!!  So I can take photos any time of the day or night with more consistent and better results Wooo Hooo!!  Will share more as soon as I can! With this in mind, please note:  The colour in the first shots and close ups is much truer to the layout as I have taken these during the day when there was lots of natural light.


Step One:  Apply a nice thick layer of Gesso mixed with Impasto medium - I love the dimension this adds.


Step Two:  Add some paper layers - I've gone with more of a square shape rather than rectangle as the sketch had square photos.


Step Three:  Add in photos and more paper layers - some fussy cut flowers too.  I've mixed up the sketch a little by switching 2 smaller photos for the one at the top.  I wanted to include both of these happy snaps - my sister and I were messing around which is quite normal for us!


Step Four:  Add all the bits and pieces.. Tags, flowers, brads and butterflies.  I added my title and journalling last.

Hope you enjoy seeing how I put my page together and well done for getting this far!!
Gwen