Friday, June 1, 2012

June sketch at Purple Pumpkin

Happy 1st of the month to you all - I can't believe it is June!

I've been itching to show you my latest layout using the new challenge sketch for Purple Pumpkin.  The DT have done an amazing job this month to show you just how versatile a sketch can be (They really are a fab bunch) - Be sure to check it out here.

So, this is the sketch:


I flipped it as it better suited my photo - here is my take:


and some close ups...




While the design for the layout was certainly inspired by the sketch, the colours were inspired by the fab large flower and I thought I'd share today a lil tutorial on how I alter them for my layouts.... Please do not mind the photos, those that know me will know I scrap between 8pm and midnight so they are not the best "colour" wise.

Step One - Choose your flower, I just love the Red and Navy combo.  I tired to show you in this photo just how flat they are before beginning.


Step Two - Time to get rough.... Start by gently roughing up and fraying the edges of the petals, I also scrunch the whole flower and roll it between my hands, you have to be gentle but also not afraid to rough it up a little.  I find the less you think about it, the better the result.


Step Three - Grab a little Gesso and dab on the edges of the flower.  I also like to put some into the palm of my hand and then scrunch the flower into it  - you want an uneven coverage... This bit is messy but fun!


and lucky last, to finish it off, I swapped up the centre button for a small Purple Pumpkin spotty button.


and voilĂ  there you have it!

I hope you all get the chance to play along this month, the winner gets a fab PP prize pack!
Gwen












2 comments:

Liz Weber said...

Love your layout Gwen, those flowers are amazing and I just love all the different types of flowers and the PP goodies on your layout. FAB take on the sketch!

Have a great weekend.

Lizzyc said...

Hi Gwen! wow! Your layout looks amazing! I love the colors, so good together, and love what you did to the flower!! Not long until the craft show, would love to catch up and say a big Hello! Will you be there on the Saturday?